I am a Film Studies graduate and aspiring Film Critic. Film, Art, Music and Literature is my biggest passion in life. I observe and analyse. I was born to write. My main interests in film relate to Psychology and Surrealism. I'm a nonconformist,a dreamer forever asking questions and looking for answers. I write reviews and essays. I'm a big fan of Avant Garde Cinema, Independent Films, Surrealism, Neo Realism, Expressionism, Film Noir and World Cinema.

Thursday 10 November 2016

A Story Of A Lonesome Man

A Single Man


What initially drawn me to this movie was the exceptionally exquisite cinematography and editing. I recall seeing a few images of the film and I just knew I had to see it. The film affected me on such a emphatically personal level. 
The film is set in the 60s and follows the story of a college professor George, who recently lost his lover Jim. The film takes its audience on a journey through pain, the pain of a man who loved and lost. The film beautifully portrays the 60s era with the mise en scene. The colour palette used within this film is rather nostalgic, but fits perfectly within the periodical spectrum.  The film is packed with a dazzling cast: Collin Firth (best actor at Venice film fest), Matthew Goode, Julianne Moore, Jon Kortajarena and of course, Nicolas Hault. Collin Firth is a rather versatile actor. From staring in Bridget Jones, a light-hearted rom-com (which we all love) to the King’s Speech, Firth manages to capture and portray the ‘real’ emotion of the single man, which Tom Ford was aiming to show in his directorial debut.  I was not sure what to expect from this film as Tom Ford is relatively new to the film scene, although, he is a well-known designer. The film’s trailer is rather visually pleasing and demanding at the same time due the lack of dialogue. The trailer captures the raw emotions that the film conveys. The astonishing mise en scene combined with the angelic and rather tragic music creates a heavy hearted fairytale of a man. The film explores issues of loneliness, acceptance, homosexuality and most importantly, love and death.

I would highly, highly recommend this film. It’s been almost a year since I have seen this magnificent masterpiece and the film is still fresh in my memory. Tom Ford has a great future ahead of him. His new release (Nocturnal Animals) featuring one of the best actors of our century Jake Gyllenhaal, along with Amy Adams is set to attract a wide range of audiences! Without a doubt, Ford is a true artist, a perfectionist who pays attention to every detail of his masterpiece. From analysing the cinematography, it is clear that Ford has been influenced by masters such as Hitchcock.

 Anna Gaszkowska

No comments:

Post a Comment